Gales Creek, Aug 24th

About five or six years ago, while trying to find new areas to discover and explore, I found information about Gales Creek. The description talked about a beautiful fern covered forest with multiple streams flowing towards Gales Creek. I made plans to go check it out only to find that they trail had been closed due to a washout. While I waited for the trail to reopen, I explored other trails in the area but then I learned that the trail closure was going to take longer. Not only they needed to reroute a big portion of the trail but an accident involving one of the crew workers delayed the whole thing. About a year ago, without a lot of noise, the trail reopened and I found when a friend went there. Finally it was time for me to check it out again so I planned a hike with the group to do it. I can say I was pleasantly surprised with the hike even though there was something missing. Certainly the area has enough greenery to feed your needs. The tall skinny trees and the ferns make the forest almost magical. The missing part was all the streams. Although I lost count of the number of streams that appear to cross the trail, none of them had any water. With the dry summer we had, all of them were dry. Not only that, Gales Creek itself was running lower than usual, something that was easy to note just by looking at the creek shore. I may need to revisit this trail when the water comes back



Interactive map

To see the full map, click Menu and select Full Screen. You can also click Terrain to change the map style


No comments: