Ghost Ridge and Palmateer Point, Dec 17th

I think this is the snowshoe I remember the most from last year but strangely enough, it’s not for the snowshoe itself. I’m not saying it was not an enjoyable outing with fantastic weather and views but for the price I paid for doing it. In the days prior to this hike I had a little cough going on which ended up making it really hard for me to do this loop which, in normal conditions, I can do almost backwards. But even before that, I had a bit of equipment malfunction. One of my snowshoes had a broken link that holds the platform to the pivoting binding. At first I tried a small key ring but that only worked for about 10 minutes. When that happened I opted, since the snow was pretty packed, to go without snowshoes. That’s when the cough got a worse and I even started having problems breathing. After a couple of puffs with Albuterol, I started feeling a bit better but was getting tired really fast. When we finally made it to the top of Ghost Ridge, I decided to take a quick break to fix my snowshoes. After thinking for a bit, I decided to use the lift bar to hold the binding in place (this fix is in the pictures). I think MSR never thought about doing something like this and actually making it work. In any case, that fixed one problem so I was able to continue on the loop towards Palmateer point that we reached without major problems. We made another short stop to enjoy the views and take some pictures before we started bushwhacking down the slope back to the PCT and then to the cars. The pictures will show you the scenery we had. It was fantastic. The price I paid? I ended up getting sick with a cold that I wasn’t able to get rid of for about three weeks!



Interactive map To see the full map, click Menu and select Full Screen. You can also click Terrain to change the map style

No comments: