June Lake, Dec 4th

On one of my previous hikes, I met Debby, a fellow hiker and amateur photographer. On that hike, we talked a lot about photography and within that conversation, she told me about photography Meetup group that she belonged to. I checked it out, joined and went with them to June Lake up in Mt St Helens. I knew about this place but had not gone to it because it’s a fairly long ride and not too much hiking, but since this group was going there to take pictures, I figured I could do some exploring around and also take time to take pictures on my own. The hike, as expected was short even considering we had to add some distance to get to the summer trailhead as the road was closed for the winter. On the hike there we crossed the creek that comes down from June Lake and had some magnificent views of the south side of Mt St Helens as it was barely creeping thru the clouds. At first, weather was not cooperating well but then we got a small break with some interesting lighting that allowed us to get better shots. Once we got to the lake, we were welcomed with a partially frozen surface and untouched snow. Tripods, big cameras and lenses came out and we started shooting like paparazzi. At first we were looking at one side of the lake where you can hear the waterfall that feeds it but you can’t see it. Walking a bit further, we got to an angle view that allowed us to peek into the hidden fall. It was a magnificent view.

View of the Waterfall


From that same angle, all of tried to zoom in to the lower portion of the fall where the water dumps into the lake as that was the most scenic portion of the whole thing. While that was happening, I noticed there was a possible way to walk around the lake and get closer to the fall. As I did, I traversed thru a steep slope with over hanging icicles that looked like menacing teeth. Shortly after that, I found a semi-flat spot on the other side where I got a better shot of the lower section of the fall.

Lower section


From there, I pushed on a bit further and got to very base of the waterfall. I wasn’t able to take many pictures from that angle as my lens was getting wet, but I was able to look back at the other side of the lake where the rest of the group was. After a couple of hours of intense picture taking and being satisfied with the views, we headed back the way we came back to our cars



You can check the pictures here

No comments: