Gasadalur, Jun 9th

After seeing Gasadalur from the top of Knavin and realizing it was in my to-do list, I got back on the car, drove thru the last tunnel and the long winding road down to a farm house just outside the village of Gasadalur and parked next to the sign pointing towards Mulafossur. This waterfall is one of the few places that you can consider more touristy in the Faroe Islands. Rather than a hike, where you have to navigate and find your route, this is just a short walk from the road to a magnificent view point from which you can see the waterfall, the village and Heinanova mountain behind.


It’s quite the scenery, that’s for sure. This image is, according to an article I read, what opened the Faroe Islands to the world. Seems like someone came to explore and shared the picture on social media and it went viral. After that, tourism picked up and placed the Faroe Islands on the map.
As I was walking back, I stopped at a junction with a well-marked, wide path heading north towards the village. It looked inviting, so I took it. As I walked and enjoyed the views, started realizing the path was probably build by the farmer that owns that plot of land. It also seemed they build it, so people would actually walk around a bit and eventually find their way to the village and a nice coffee shop (it was closed when I got there). I walked around some of the old farm houses easily recognizable by the black walls and turf roofs before heading back to the car just when the rain came in.

You can see the rest of the pictures here

No comments: