A note about the Eagle Creek Fire

If you leave in Oregon, although I think the news have already traveled far, you know about the Eagle Creek Fire. It started this past Saturday when, allegedly, some kids where throwing smoke bombs down the canyon. I was backpacking at the moment but learned about it on my way home and had to drive by it. This is what I saw


Needless to say, it was scary. At that moment, I couldn’t even realize the magnitude and the implication of the fire. It just looked like an inferno. Later, while listening to the news, I learned about the teenager that seems to have started this. In my process, I went thru anger. I wanted to know who he was and why he did it. Most importantly, I wanted something to happen to him, something really bad; something make him pay for what he did. To make him understand the implications. After hundreds of notes and articles and comments on-line, I finally realized that yes, we do have the right to be mad at the kid, we have the right to be mad at the parents that didn’t teach him that every action has consequences. I’m not going to lie, I still feel a bit that way, but the fire could have been caused by lighting as well. The result is the same. When I understood or realized that, pain settled in and I cried. I cried because I realized that I have hiked most, if not all the trails in that area. That I know the turns, switchbacks, markers and some forgotten trails that are no longer used. That I have countless memories and friendships that stared there. Now, all that forest with its tall trees and trails is something we will never get to see again in our lifetimes. Certainly, the mountain will recover and flowers will show and new views will appear, but who knows how long that will take. With that uncertainty, I felt my call, a call to do something. So, I started contacting people and becoming a member of Trail Keepers of Oregon. My plan is to find ways to help rebuild, however I can, so future generations can enjoy the Gorge as I have. I feel is the least I can do for all that I’ve gotten from it.

No comments: