Thomas Lake to Blue Lake, Oct 16th

This is probably the best known route in the Indian Heaven Wilderness and a route I’ve done many times, not only as a day hike but also while backpacking in the area. Still, it had been a while since I’ve done it so I took the chance of co-leading the hike with Duane who’s training to be an assistant organizer in my group. The hike was as beautiful as I remembered it although it felt shorter. As we started from the trailhead, we quickly got to Thomas Lake and then passed thru several other lakes with beautiful scenery. We took the hike slow and easy with plenty of rest stops to enjoy the fall colors and the weather. Once we got to Blue Lake, half of the group wanted to do a little bit more while the rest stayed back. So I took them on a bushwhack climb following the ridge behind the lake. As we were gaining elevation, the view of the lake became better. We also got some nice views of other lakes in the area and Mt Adams peaking over the ridge. We did climb as far as we could but at some point, getting closer to the top, the ridge got pretty steep so we had to turn around.

No comments: