Hole in the Wall, Feb 27th

Hole in the Wall is one of those hidden treasures right here in Forest Park in the middle of the city. Incredibly enough, this hike offers excellent forest views, some secluded trails and the feeling that you are miles from the city when you are not more that 25 minutes from home. I normally don’t do a lot in Forest Park hikes as I like to explore farther regions, but considering I had only the afternoon and wanted to take Shia out for a walk, I though this would do it. I arranged with Laurie for her to pick me up on the way and head of to the trail. Weather was fantastic and the trails were as they normally are, full of mud. What was interesting was to see flowers’ starting to bloom considering it’s the end of February and we are still in the middle of winter! Shia had a great time and got in every mud hole she could find. I guess the only bad thing is that I think this is her last hike. Although we did only about 4 miles in relatively flat terrain, she got very stiff and needed two days to fully recover. It always amazes me that she’s always in the mood to run and play and fetch although her body can’t keep up. I wonder how does that work in her mind (if it does at all). I guess she will always think she’s still a puppy and behave like one. I hope my mind ends up working the same way and I can keep hiking way past 80!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can barely imagine how much fun it would be having a dog on a hike. I grew up with dogs but all were indoor small breeds (that hated people). I get jealous at times with people that have awesome dogs as hiking companions