Elk – Kings traverse, Jan 23rd

While we still wait for some good or at least decent snow up in the mountains (which seems like will not happen this year), I decided to do a more spring-summer hike. Looking at my many sources and wanting to do a long hike, I opted for the coastal range knowing that it would be clear of snow. About a year or so ago, I recalled doing Elk Mountain. On that particular trip, I took Shia with me and we both ended up pretty beat up after that grueling hike. This time, with a small group of avid hikers, we went with the plan of completing the full traverse that includes the Elks and Kings summit. To give you an idea on how grueling this hike is, just consider that you climb about 2000’ in about 1.5 miles to the top of Elk. From there, the trail has numerous ups and downs, many of which require the use of knees and/or grabbing to branches or roots to climb up or down. In about 2 miles, you get to the junction point about 200’ above Elk only to continue on an equally hard terrain to the top of Kings. This section is about 1.3 miles climbing 300’. After all that, comes the downhill section which is no easy task either as you descent 2500’ in about 2 miles. To complete the loop and get back to the cars, the last portion requires an easy 3.5 mile stroll with some ups and downs. The rewards for all that work, besides the sense of accomplishment, is the magnificent views of the Tillamook Forest. As you’ll see in the pictures bellow, the climb is so quick that you find yourself above the cloud level soon after you start. From there, the views are just magnificent as you see the Wilson River Basin to one side, the coastal range to the west and the forest to the North. All that, accompanied by a nice wet day with some sunshine in the afternoon made it for a perfect winter day?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can't wait to do this one! From the description and pictures I can easily see that this is the type of hike the NW is famous for. I've wandered this type of terrain as far back as I can remember and it will never get old. No matter where I am, Oregon will always be my home.