Indian Heaven, Aug 29th

I just love this place, unfortunately there is a small window when weather is perfect and mosquitoes are gone. This time I think we were just about right. The idea for the weekend was to camp at Blue Lake, one of the most scenic lakes in the area. Considerably, this is the first place I backpacked to when I moved to Portland back in 2007. Being the weekend before Labor Day, we knew there was a big possibility of finding a lot of people out there as summer is coming to an end and schools are starting again. Contrary to what the weather guy said, we got to the trailhead on a very cloudy, misty, foggy day. That didn’t stop us in any way. Passing thru the multiple lakes on the way to Blue Lake was very nice although with limited views. We got to Blue Lake only to find out that all campsites where already taken. I had though of that possibility so my plan was to continue towards Junction Lake and try to find a campsite there, but just because I went by memory, I took the wrong turn and actually hiked in the complete opposite direction. After several miles I came to realize this mistake at which point it was easier to continue than to try to head back. Shortly after, we got to a pond in the Indian Race Track. This pond is usually visited by people horseback riding and by deer and elk. Being kind of remote added the bonus that there was nobody there. We found a perfect campsite with enough space for all our tents and a nice view of the pond and its floating water lilies. Later that evening the skies cleared up and we had a fantastic star show and a bright moon. Nancy and I went for a short walk and where delighted by the colors and shadows on the trees as we illuminated them with our flashlights. On Sunday we woke up to an incredible clear day so after a nice breakfast, we packed everything and headed back the same way we hiked in; this time enjoying the views and multiple lakes.

No comments: