Svalbufa, Jun 17th


After hiking from Arnastapi to Hellnar, I got back in the car and continued driving around the Snaefellsness Peninsula towards my next intended stop on the north side. As I did, far in the distance I noticed a rock formation that looked like something out of this world. From my angle and with the sun coming from the side, it looked like a pirate ship emerging from the ground and out into the sea. It looked both intriguing and fascinating so when I saw a parking area close to it I stopped, grabbed my camera and went out exploring.



As a hike is not impressive or long (like a lot of the most well-known places in Iceland). From the parking lot, there’s a trail that goes straight out to a viewpoint at the cliff edge. I wasn’t too interested in that after hiking along the beach for a while, so I took a foot path heading towards the rock formation in the distance. 
The trail descends a bit to a flat area. Looking back, you can see the view point up in the hill protected with a fence. From this angle I think the views are better as you can see all the basalt formation on the cliff wall.



As I got closer to the rock formation I was aiming for, the form and shape didn’t change what I saw in the beginning. It still looked like a gigantic ship breaking free from a rock trap



At first, I thought I would be able to scramble up there but as I got closer that idea disappeared. The edges and walls are steeper than what they appear from the distance. I found a path to go around and went exploring and to my surprise, the rock took on another completely different shape form the other side. Now it looked almost like a Chinese dog or maybe a lamb looking onto sea.


As I walked back towards the car, my views included Nordurbufa a glaciated peak in the middle of the peninsula



No comments: