Raudfeldsgja Gorge, Jun 17th


Not to far north from my first stop at Bjarnarfoss was my first planned short hike, and it was a bit of a gamble. For what I had read, the hike path only took you to the entrance of the gorge but supposedly, it’s possible to go in a bit further depending on how you handle tight spaces. Either way it sounded interesting. Finding the place was actually quite easy. As you drive along Utnesvegur, the main road, mountains rise from and sink on the side. This one in particular as a gigantic crack in the middle.



After parking my car, I started walking towards the mouth of the crack and noticed a patch of snow and some people walking on it. As I got closer, I noticed the patch of snow was coming out of the mouth of the Gorge and it had a big cave under it where a small stream was flowing out. It looked a bit unsafe to me so rather than step over it, I crossed the stream and approached on the other side



The mouth is very narrow and it looked like you could go in for a bit provided there was now snow. Looking up I saw how narrow the canyon is which probably explains why there was still snow in there. I guess it doesn’t get a lot of sunlight or heat.



I explored a little around and admired the surrounding scenery before heading back down and on to my next adventure.  




No comments: