Saxholl, Jun 17th

While driving around the peninsula, I noticed what looked like a small volcano in the distance. Further down the main road I found a side road leading straight to it, so I went off exploring. A sign in the parking lot explains Saxholl is a small crater that erupted probably 3 to 4 thousand years ago and it rises only 109 meters above sea level. It also warns that soil is very delicate, so you are asked to stay in the path and to not build cairns.

From the parking lot, there’s a metallic staircase that goes around as it climbs the side of the crater to the top. It doesn’t take a lot of time to get there and from the top, you can see the crater and surrounding areas. There’s also a sun dial to help identify distant landmarks which I found in several places. Wind was howling up there, so I stayed only a couple of minutes to snap some pictures before heading back down and continuing my adventure


You can see the rest of the pictures here



No comments: