Reynisfjara Beach, Jun 19th

As the name implies, this is a beach walk more than a hike, and the main attraction is a huge columnar basalt wall that sits on the eastern side of the beach.


It’s also impressive due to the contrast between the soft gray, almost white color of the basalt and the dark grey and black sand it sits on.


As with most places in Iceland, lots of people visit these places and in this particular case, they climb on the rocks to take pictures. While waiting to get a chance to take a picture without people on the rocks, I decided to continue walking along the beach to end and even jump over some rocks and explore the cost line a bit. On that little section of coast, I found solitude but also more rock formations. I’m used to see columnar formations that are mostly straight but here, they go in all directions bending and twisting giving the whole image a more dynamic feel.



As I walked on, I notice that the black sand below my feet was not actual sand but tiny black pebbles. At a certain point I decided to get on my knees to take a close-up picture without noticing the wave breaking behind me and splashing all over.


Aside from getting my feet wet, I noticed pebbles flying all over the place with each wave break.


After a while I walked back around and saw my next destination at the other end of this black sand beach.


No comments: