Hiking in Catherine Creek, Mar 28th

Catherine Creek is a shorter hike that I’ve known for a while but had not done yet. Part of it is because it requires a bit more driving to get to it as it is farther East in the Washington side of the Columbia Gorge. The advantage of going there this time of year is that, usually you get less rain (believe it or not) and flowers start to bloom earlier. So we got to the trail head and of course, it was rainy which could disprove my previous point, but it was truly raining in Portland so yes, it rains less. Most of the trail is an old road with a nice slope. After crossing a stream, the road starts to border a rock formation with an impressive natural arc at the top. The overcast sky didn’t allow me to take a descent picture, but you can still see the gigantic structure. There are also some all stables as this area was originally private. After a short ascend, the trail takes you to a rolling hill with beautiful views of the Columbia. We did a short stop for food under a tree where I decided to put my camera away which I ended up regretting on the way back. Just as we started descending the hill a herd of deer passed in front of us running down the hill. Now, every now and then, when we see deer in the trail, we see two or three. This herd was probably 40 or 50 deer. After that, it was obvious I was going to take my camera out, of course we didn’t see deer anymore but, we found a very interesting tree. Definitely nature has a way to be artistic doesn’t it?

No comments: